Despite the code battling the crippling financial toll of the coronavirus pandemic, ARLC boss Peter V’landys is adamant Queensland’s hopes of securing a new NRL team are not dead.
Peter V’landys is adamant Queensland’s hopes of securing a new NRL team are not dead and the game is months away from agreeing to a broadcast deal extension.
The crippling financial toll of the coronavirus pandemic has sent shockwaves through the NRL and will result in costs being slashed across the code.
Clubs will be expected to reduce their expenditure and players will be paid less from next year because of an “unsustainable cost structure”.
The suspension of the 2020 season last month threatened to send the NRL broke, but the premiership’s resumption on May 28 will see crucial cash start to flow back into the game.
Before COVID-19 shut down the country, speculation about a 17th team based in Brisbane joining the NRL from 2023 was the hottest topic in the game.
The suspension has thrust the NRL into damage control, but ARL Commission chairman V’landys said it had not killed the prospect of expansion despite original plans to open the team bidding process later this year.
“We have been so focused on the current crisis that we haven’t really thought about expansion, it hasn’t really come back up,” he told The Sunday Mail.
“If expansion was to proceed it’s still two years away.
To read the full The Courier Mail article, click here.